Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This recipe is a bit different because the apples are grated instead of chopped or sliced and there is pineapple juice instead of the traditional orange juice. For a richer cake, I use butter instead of oil, but it tastes wonderful both ways. Enjoy!
- 4 -5 large apples, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix filling ingredients together and set aside.
- Place all batter ingredients (except nuts, if using) into a large bowl and beat until smooth.
- Fold in nuts if using.
- Pour half of batter into greased tube or bundt pan.
- Place half of filling mixture over batter; add the rest of batter over that.
- Spread remaining filling over top.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan until warm and then turn out onto wire rack.
We had a few soft apples lying around so I used that as an excuse to try this recipe - boy was it a success!! I'm sure it will be even better with fresh, crispy apples.
Wonderful, moist and flavorful!
Very moist and oh so tasty. I didn't have pineapple juice, so I used OJ instead - the end result was great.