Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom wanted to try this diet, and made a huge pot of this soup, and she didn't like it. I think it is wonderful!! Although I am not on the "Cabbage Soup Diet", I make this soup often, and I love it!! This recipe makes a BIG pot of soup. It also freezes well, so don't sweat the leftovers!:)
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 2 yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 2 large bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 cups cabbage, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free vegetable broth or 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet dry onion soup mix
- salt and pepper
- In large pot coated with cooking spray, cook first 8 ingredients until crisp-tender, adding 3-4 tbs of broth if necessary, to prevent burning.
- Add broth, tomatoes, onion soup mix, salt, and pepper.
- Boil 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are tender (about 30 minutes), adding water to cover, if necessary.
I don't think I could ever go on the cabbage soup diet, but I do like this simple recipe. It's a very chunky vegetable soup that certainly filled my stomach and was easy to make. Next time I might add some fresh herbs, just to give it slightly more distinct flavour.
I thought this soup was VERY yummy! I really didn't expect that out of a "diet" soup! I ate one bowl of it and I am sooo full now! I didn't expect it too be so filling ethier, which is good!!! I didn't use the leeks in it or celery, since I didn't have any. I added the whole pack onion soup mix..for six servings. I also added a little garlic powder, onion salt, and lots of salt and pepper! Can you tell I like my food salty!! Anyways, I will be making it again sometime. It is a good way to use veggies in the frig. that are on the verge of going bad. That's what I did! Thanks for this recipe. Does anyone know how many cals are in the soup the way I made it?
When I was a kid my grandmother went on the "cabbage Soup Diet". The diet went, but the soup has remained one of my favorites. I would eat this stuff by the gallon when I was young. Now that I am a busy mom and a vegan, this is a terrific soup to have around the house. I am so glad someone posted this!! Thanks!!