7 Day Diet Fat Burning Cabbage Soup
Original Diet Cabbage Soup is posted here Recipe #281160 but I wanted it organic with no added soup mix or canned vegetables. This diet is derived from one given at the Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital for overweight heart patients to lose weight rapidly, usually before surgery. and by Ed Kasper L.Ac, Acupuncturist and Herbalist. Which I tweaked to my likings. yes you can tweak to your likings as well. Vegetarians can use aduki or mung beans, seitan where called for. This is a short-term fix mostly water weight. A good seasonal cleanse or a way to start jump a diet.
- Ready In:
- 1 large head cabbage, shredded
- 1 kombu seaweed, rinsed and sliced (detoxifying effects, great source of many trace minerals, aids digestive system)
- 1 leek, rinsed and sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 poblano chile, diced (for a slight heat)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 bunch celery, diced
- 1 bulb of garlic, sliced
- 2 lbs tomatoes, crushed
- 1 lb shiitake mushroom, sliced (check out benefits http ( or or www.herbcompanion.com or health or Shiitake.aspx)
- water, fresh no chlorine or mineral-rich bone broth
- lots herbs
- salt (optional)
- Saute all veggie except for cabbage and tomatoes in vegetable oil or coconut oil. Cover with water bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer till veggies are tender. Add fresh or dried herbs simmer 5 minutes and season to taste. Or make in crock pot 6-8 hours.
- Eat soup any time you are hungry. Eat as much as you want, whenever you want. This soup will not add calories. The more you eat, the more you will lose. Fill a thermos in the morning if you will be away during the day.
- Be sure to follow daily to nourish your body as needed.
- Drink plenty of fresh pure water all day. Drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces of water. If you weigh 100 pounds then drink 50 ounces of water. Also add optional kombucha to your diet for beneficial yeasts and bacteria for your digestive system.
- DAY ONE: All fruits except bananas. Eat only the soup and fruits. Drink kombucha, unsweetened tea, cranberry juice, or water.
- DAY TWO: All vegetables. Eat until you are stuffed with all the fresh, raw vegetables. Try to eat leafy vegetables and avoid dry beans, peas and corn. Eat along with the soup. At dinner time on this day, reward yourself with a big baked potato an butter.Real butter not the fake stuff. Do not eat any fruits.
- DAY THREE: Eat all soup, fruits and vegetables you want. No baked potato.
- DAY FOUR: Bananas and skim milk. Eat as many as 3 bananas and drink as many glasses of water as you can on this day along with the soup. Bananas are high in calories and carbohydrates and so is the milk, but on today your body will need the potassium and the carbohydrates, proteins and calcium to lessen your craving for sweets.
- DAY FIVE: 10-20 ounces Beef, lamb, wheat gluten (seitan), aduki beans, chicken (absolutely no skin) or fish and up to 6 organic tomatoes. Try to select high quality range fed animal protein free of antibiotics or hormones. Try to drink at least 6-8 glasses of water this day to wash away the uric acid in your body. Eat the soup at least once this day.
- DAY SIX: Beef, lamb, wheat gluten (seitan), aduki beans, chicken(absolutely no skin) or fish & vegetables. Eat to your heart's content of the beef or lamb and vegetables this day. You can have two or three steaks if you like, with green leafy vegetables, but no baked potato. Be sure and eat the soup at least once today.
- DAY SEVEN: Brown rice, unsweetened fruit and vegetables. Again, stuff yourself. Be sure to have the soup at least once today.
- By the end of the seventh day, if you have not cheated on the diet, you will have lost 10-17 pounds. If you have lost more than 15 pounds, stay off the diet for two days before resuming the diet again for day one.
- This seven-day eating plan can be used as often as you like. As a matter of fact, if correctly followed, it will clean your system of impurities and give you a feeling of well-being as never before.
- After only seven days of this process, you should begin to feel lighter by at least 10 lbs., and possibly 17. Having an abundance of energy continue this plan as long as you wish and feel the difference.
- Because everyone digestive system is different, this diet will affect everyone differently. After day three, you will have more energy than when you began, if you did not cheat. After being on the diet for several days, you will find your bowel movements have changed -- eat a cup o bran or fiber. Although you can have black coffee with this diet, you may find that you don't need the caffeine after the third day.
- DEFINITE NO-NO'S - BREAD, ALCOHOL, CARBONATED DRINKS INCLUDING DIET DRINKS.
- STICK WITH WATER, UN-SWEETENED TEA, BLACK COFFEE, UN-SWEETENED FRUIT JUICES, CRANBERRY JUICE AND SKIMMED MILK.
- The basic fat-burning soup can be eaten anytime you feel hungry. Eat as much as you wish. Remember, the more you eat, the more you will lose. NO fried foods, pastas or bread.
- Any prescribed medication will not hurt you on this diet. Continue this plan as long as you wish and feel the difference both mentally and physically. If you prefer, you can substitute broiled fish for the beef on only one of the beef days. You need high protein in the beef the other days.
- Avoid all those no-no's. Avoid diet soda's and diet chemicals. Use real butter not the hypo- hydrated fakes . Do not use foods with high fructose sugars do not use aspartame or artificial sweeteners, Use natural whole foods, like stevia, agave, honey.
- Eat good wholesome foods that are well prepared and that appeal to you.
- Make your own healthy fermented foods.
- http://happyherbalist.com/photos/logo.jpg has great herbs to enhance your diet plan.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I love this concept especially the poblano pepper, and used it for a base as well as reviewing the original recipe. My tweaks to personalize were to use 1/2 shiitakes and 1/2 oyster mushrooms (both organic), a small bunch of local baby spring onions as well as the leek and 1 large vidalia onion, used napa cabbage, and added 1 lb carrots (from original recipe). I roasted all the veggies except the tomatoes and cabbage with a spray of canola oil at 425° for about 40 minutes before putting them in the stock pot with the cabbage, tomatoes and water. Finally I agree that lipton onion soup and canned beef broth are gross but I added 3 organic beef marrow bones (roasted first and poured off fat) which added richness I love in traditional cabbage soup without the excess sodium and additives and only about 10-15 calories per serving. My recipe builder calculated this at 78 calories/serving assuming 24 servings. Cheated with a little tequila on day 1 and a glass of wine on day 2 (agave and grapes, right?) so I skipped the baked potato, but doesn't seem to have sabotaged anything because I'm down 3.5 lbs as of the morning of day 3. Also exercising 30 minutes/day.