Recipe by Manda
My mom wanted to try this diet, and made a huge pot of this soup, and she didn't like it. I think it is wonderful!! Although I am not on the "Cabbage Soup Diet", I make this soup often, and I love it!! This recipe makes a BIG pot of soup. It also freezes well, so don't sweat the leftovers!:)
Top Review by Sackville
I don't think I could ever go on the cabbage soup diet, but I do like this simple recipe. It's a very chunky vegetable soup that certainly filled my stomach and was easy to make. Next time I might add some fresh herbs, just to give it slightly more distinct flavour.
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 2 yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 2 large bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 cups cabbage, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free vegetable broth or 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet dry onion soup mix
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot coated with cooking spray, cook first 8 ingredients until crisp-tender, adding 3-4 tbs of broth if necessary, to prevent burning.
- Add broth, tomatoes, onion soup mix, salt, and pepper.
- Boil 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are tender (about 30 minutes), adding water to cover, if necessary.