1 hr 15 mins
CHEF GRPA's Note:
This pie really loves a scoop of vanilla ice cream when it's hot out of the oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- size cans cherry pie filling (lite or regular 12-14oz size cans)
- size cans dark sweet cherries in heavy syrup (a 21oz of LITE cherry pie filling)
- size cans tart cherries, usually found packed in juice
- 2 tablespoons triple sec or 2 tablespoons any orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon almond extract or 1 tablespoon amaretto liqueur
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 11. NOTE: BAKES at 425*, & 350* Use a deep dish pie plate for this recipe (mine is 10"x 2.5") If you do not have a large pie plate, I would opt for a 'cobbler' treatment of these ingredients in a 9x9x2 glass pan. CRUST: Combine flour & (chilled) butter until crumbly. Stir in: ground nuts (prefer pecans) & orange zest (from one large fruit or two cuties). Add 1 Tbl vinegar; use apple cider if its on hand) to egg yolk, stir both into crumbs. Add ice water 1 Tbl/ time until dough is firm.
- 22. Divide dough into 1/3, 2/3 portions. Roll/press larger portion of dough to cover bottom & sides of pan. Pre-bake for 10 min at 425* Set aside. Roll top portion into desired shape: full crust or lattice (set away from heat).
- 33. FILLING: Drain sweet cherries (in syrup), reserve juice. Drain tart cherries, reserve juice. Add all cherries to bowl along with whole can of pie filling. Stir triple sec & almond into this bowl. Set aside.
- 44. Reduce sweet cherry syrup to half over med heat. Will bubble, so make sure pan/ bowl is larger than 4 cups to allow for this w/o spill over. Stir 2 Tbl cornstarch into 2 Tbl of tart cherry juice (from can) and add to reduced syrup. Stir constantly over heat until nicely thickened.
- 55. Fold cherries into this and blend gently. This mixture should include all of the filling ingredients and should be a rich red color and cling well to spoon.
- 66. FINISH: Add filling to bottom crust. Lay top crust over filling. Brush w/ egg white, esp around edges to seal to bottom crust. If using solid/whole top crust, remember to cut several vents. If lattice, no worries. Egg white on top can be combined w/ or sprinkled w/ a little sugar (@ 1 Tbl) for nice finish. This step just adds a nice golden color.
- 77. Bake at 425* for first 10 minute Reduce to 350* for remaining 25-30 minute Remove when top crust is golden & filling is bubbly.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep Dish Cherry Pie
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.1
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 67.4 mg
- Sodium 448.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cherry pie filling
sweet cherries in heavy syrup