Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Got this recipe from my friend Tara in Seattle - tweaked it to make it my own.
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning mix, halved
- 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar or a mexi-blend)
- 1 (8 ounce) containerfresh salsa (near your grocer's deli, or homemade)
- 2 small avocados
- 3 green onions, sliced white part and bottom few inches of green
- black olives, if desired (optional)
- Mix can of refried beans well with the sour cream and mayonnaise - then stir in half of the seasoning packet. Save the other half for the next time you make this (or when you make tacos).
- Spread bean mixture into the bottom of a medium casserole dish.
- Layer all the other ingredients: cheese, then salsa, then chopped avocado, then green onion. Dot with black olives if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- There have been times that I've packed this for lunch at work.
This made a very creamy bean dip. I skipped adding the mayo, but otherwise followed the recipe. I used ChiChi's seasoning and Recipe #368785. The bean layer was nicely spicy (not hot), and the cheese & toppings made it visually pleasing as well as adding to the flavor. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2010.