Recipe by Derf
High fiber that tastes great!!Serve with a little icecream or Diet topping from the high Fiber Cookbook for diabetics by Mabel Cavaiani, R.D.
- 1 cup 100% bran (fiber one, Bran buds or All bran)
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium egg
- 3 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped dates
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bran, water, egg, molasses and veggie oil in a small bowl. Mix lightly and let stand at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes. (This timing is very important.)
- Place flour, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, soda and dates in a mixer bowl and mix at low speed for about 1/2 minute to blend well.
- Add the bran mixture and mix at medium speed to blend well. Do not overmix.
- Spread evenly in a well greased 8 inch square pan and bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cake is firm in the centre and draws away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool the cake to room temperature and cut 3 x 4 into 12 equal portions.
- Use 1 square per serving.
- food exchange per serving- 1 bread and 1 fat.
- low sodium diets- omit salt.
- use low sodium baking powder.
- low cholesterol diets- omit egg.
- use 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute.