Recipe by Candace Michelle
My aunt made this for Thanksgiving, from Good Housekeeping magazine. Yum yum, and oh so rich. Cook time is chill time.
Top Review by AmyZoe
I made this for the chocolate-lovers in the family, and they absolutely loved it. I also got the recipe from Good Housekeeping magazine. This is like eating walnuts and cream with a slab of fudge. Personally, it was too rich and too much on the chocolate side for my tastes, but for chocolate lovers this is a dream come true. Thank you for posting this!
- 1 pie shell (9 inch)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, cut up
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy 3 qt saucepan, heat sugar and water on medium until sugar dissolves and turns amber colored, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in microwave safe 1 cup measuring cup, heat 3/4 cream on high for 45 seconds. Place remaining 1/2 cup cream in refrigerator to keep cold for whipping later.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in warm cream until a smooth caramel forms, it will stiffen when cream is added. Stir in chocolate and butter until completely melted. Stir in vanilla and 1 1/2 cups walnuts. Reserve remaining walnuts to sprinkle on top of pie later.
- Pour warm chocolate filling into pie shell. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour, then cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.
- When ready to serve, in a medium bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat remaining 1/2 cup cream until soft peaks form. With metal spatula, spread whipped cream over top of pie. Sprinkle with reserved walnuts.