This is a fudgey, brownie-like cake with a chocolate cream cheese frosting and a sweet raspberry filling. It is decadence at its best.
- 1 (16 ounce) baghershey's special dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Batter: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 2 9-inch cake pans, set side.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate, and the tablespoon of butter in the microwave on medium (50%) heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the stick of butter, the sugar, and the vanilla.
- Stir in the eggs, 1 at a time until they are all incorporated.
- Stir in the chocolate.
- Stir in the salt and oil.
- Stir in 1 1/4 cups of the flour then the 1/2 cup of milk.
- Stir in the last 1 1/4 cup on flour and the baking powder.
- Pour the batter evenly between the 2 cake pans and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Filling: In a small sauce pan, combined all of the ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; set aside to cool.
- Frosting: In a medium bowl, add all of the ingredients and beat with an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy; set aside.
- Cake: When the cake is done, remove it from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Loosen the edges with a knife, and turn them out onto a cooling rack(s) to cool completely.
- When the cakes are cool, pour the raspberry filling onto one of the cakes and then top with the other cake.
- Let cake cool for a while, then spread the frosting on the top and sides.
- To garnish you can place raspberries on the top and around then cake.