Recipe by Momasam
My Grandmother Christine (Danish) passed this recipe down - She called it her 'company's coming' cake because from the time she noticed someone coming down the road to the homestead (by horse & buggy!) to the time they sat down for coffee this cake would be ready to come out of the oven! It's easiest when you use a med bowl for the main bowl, and a separate bowl for the milk and vinegar, the eggs and vanilla, and a small cup for the soda water. Once you make this a couple of times, you get into a rhythm and it becomes faster to toss together for a quick treat!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour bottom of 9 x 13 in cake pan.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together first 3 ingredients.
- Add the flour to this and crumb, setting aside 3/4 cup of crumbs for topping. (I find this part easiest to do by hand.)
- Add the vinegar to the milk, let curdle.
- Add the vanilla and eggs to the crumb mixture and stir to moisten.
- Add the milk mixture and stir.
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water, then add to batter and stir. Batter should be thin and slightly lumpy.
- Poor in cake pan.
- Sprinkle reserved crumbs over top of cake.
- Bake on center rack for 25 - 30 minute.
- Cut and serve warm or cold - I think it even tastes better the next day!