Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Rhubarb is in season just as stampede takes over the city! Everyone loves my homestyle batter, it rises into sweet and sour muffns, full of country flavor! YaHOO! Note: You can sub regular apple sauce for the strawberry kind. I use one kid snack size cup.
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup sweeten flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup baby carrots, grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F Mix all wet ingredients.
- Sift dry ingredients and mix into wet to make batter.
- Line 12 muffin tray with liners. Spray whole tray and liners lightly with non-stick spray. Heap the mixture into each liner to capacity.
- Mix 1/2 cup brown sugar with margarine and flour, sprinkle on each muffin.
- Bake at 350F for 20-22 minutes If your oven is not very hot, try making these at 375 F to get the nice round tops.
OUTSTANDING muffins! One of the best I've ever made, and I make A LOT of muffins. These are definitely Top Ten worthy. The tangy rhubarb, subtle crunch of coconut, and sweet grated carrot are perfect together. I used 1/2 cup of Strawberry-Rhubarb Applesauce in these muffins and highly recommend it if you have time...also excellent. A few changes I made: I cut the sugar to 1 1/2 cups as we prefer it less sweet (might even do 1 cup next time) and also used half the streusel topping and didn't miss it. Also used part white-wheat flour. Baked for 22 minutes, then pulled and quickly broiled the tops. This made 18 medium muffins. Wonderful, I can not praise these highly enough! Thank you, Danielle!
These are really good muffins! As suggested, I substituted regular applesauce for strawberry applesauce (just because I didn't have any). Great texture and flavor, especially with the coconut flakes (don't leave it out).
These are really the best rhubarb muffins I have ever made. I will be printing this recipe and posting it on my fridge! Frozen rhubarb works just as well! Thank you for the keeper!