Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 mins
Recipe is from Allrecipes and is posted for ZWT-8-AUS/NZ.
Make and share this Dad's New Zealand Mince Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 3 tablespoons black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onions until browned; remove from pot and set aside. Add ground beef to pot, and cook until evenly brown. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in browned onions, and cook on high heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of water. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in ketchup, beef stock, and teriyaki sauce. Season with pepper, curry powder, garlic powder, and onion powder. Cover and simmer for about 2 hours.
- Mix together 1 tablespoons flour and 1/2 cup water. Stir into stew and cook until thickened.
I needed a little more water than called for as it boiled, and wouldn't call it a stew, but it was delicious! I told my husband it was curry flavored sloppy joe, and we ate it with fries :-) For ZWT8