Recipe by macinjim
This came from my Grandmother who received it from her mother who moved here from Czechoslovokia.
Top Review by twurm
My husband and I went to Prague and still talk about the goulash we had at this tiny hole in the wall restaurant there. Thisrecipe was the closest to that restaurant goulash that we have had. Delicious. I actually simmered the beef in some beer as well as water. Thanks for posting this recipe!
- 2 lbs cubed beef, about 1/2 inch
- 2 lbs of cubed pork, about 1/2 inch
- 2 tablespoons oil, to brown your meat
- 2 teaspoons pickling spices
- 1 cup chopped onion (preferably sweet)
- 2 (15 ounce) cansof diced stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) bottle catsup (preferably Heinz)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup (preferably Campbells)
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon good whiskey (I use Black Jack Daniels)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large dutch oven (large stew pot) on high heat.
- Combine beef and pork and begin to brown in oil on all sides.
- When meat is browned on all sides add onion; add enough water to cover the meat and onions mixture.
- Tie pickling spices in a cheesecloth or, us a metal tea ball only half full.
- Spices will expand while cooking.
- Drop cheesecloth or teaball into meat mixture.
- Simmer mixture for 45 minutes.
- Add ingredients from cans, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, and catsup; stir mixture well.
- Finally add all the spices as measured, the vinegar and the WHISKEY!
- Turn fire or heat to a low setting and simmer for 1 hour with lid on the pot.
- Check and stir frequently to prevent the bottom from scorching or burning.
- THIS IS ALL GOING TO MAKE YOUR KITCHEN SMELL AWESOME AS IT SIMMERS-- After simmering for the 1 hour it is ready to serve in bowls with large spoons.
- OH YEAH< TAKE OUT THE PICKLING SPICE CONTAINER AND DISCARD TO THE SINK-- Ladle out and ENJOY!
- (AN OPTIONAL SERVING- Is to add 2 cups of egg noodles as you are simmering the soup till the noodles are tender. You may have to add a little more water for the noodles).