Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The famous hot curry from Goa that determines the difference between boys and men.
Make and share this Curry Vindaloo recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken or 1 1⁄2 lbs pork or 1 1⁄2 lbs mutton or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, in cubes
- 8 hot green chilies, pods
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 ounce fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
- 2 tomatoes, in chunks
- 2 fresh mild green chili peppers, sliced
- Pound green chilli, garlic, ginger and cayenne together with salt in a mortar until smooth.
- Add vinegar (or use a blender).
- Marinate the meat in this for 2 hours.
- Save the marinade.
- Heat the oil with cumin, coriander and peppercorns.
- When hot, add the meat and onion and broil on high heat until brown.
- Add the marinade, sugar and tomato purée.
- Add water and salt if necessary.
- Let simmer until meat is done and the sauce has thickened (circa 30 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Add tomatoes, chilli and brandy and serve with basmati rice and maybe some yoghurt sauce to compensate the heat.