Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Quick casserole that can be used with already-cooked chicken.
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the mixed vegetables on a cooking sheet and roast in a oven for 5 to 10 minutes until browned slightly. In sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of butte. Add the onion and celery; sauté until tender. In another saucepan, heat the broth and milk.
- Add two more tablespoons of butter to the celery mix to cook out all the water. After the water is cooked out, add the flour and curry to celery mix and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in hot milk mixture and cook until thickened.
- Add the parsley, salt, and pepper; toss in the browned vegetables and the chicken.
- Pour in a shallow baking pan and top with 6 to 8 puff pastry sheets that have been cut into circles. Place in oven and cook until the puff pastry has browned and the mixture is hot and bubbly about 25 minutes.
This is the same as the Alton Brown recipe on Food Network's website. It has over 150 positive remarks there so I thought it needed a few more stars here as well. I used pie crust on top instead of puff pastry because I didn't have any on hand (we are snowed in). Even my 6-year-old ate this and gave it a 10. A delicious recipe that pot pie lovers should try!
My son made this for dinner tonight and it was great! I don't usually like curry but this was fine. Even picky dd liked it (she did say it needed more meat).