Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Vegetarian Times Jan 2003.
Make and share this Curried Yellow Split Peas and Cauliflower recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup dried split yellow peas, well rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower, trimmed to florets
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup green peas
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- In large saucepan, combine split peas and water, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cover pan with lid slightly ajar, reduce heat to low and cook about 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat. Stir in turmeric, curry powder and onion, and sauté, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cauliflower florets and 1 cup vegetable stock, and continue cooking and stirring for 7 to 10 minutes more.
- Add split peas, remaining oil and any remaining cooking water to skillet, stirring to combine well.
- Reduce heat to medium- low and add green peas, red pepper and more stock, if needed. Continue to cook until split peas are soft, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in coconut, raisins and salt to taste. Serve hot.
Overall, it was ok, but I had to change the recipe a lot. It was kind of bland, so I added more curry powder, some garlic salt and cumin. My main problem was with the liquid. There was way too much liquid and it looked like soup. I tried to cook it off, but there was too much. Then I tried scooping some out, but ingredients got in the way. Finally, I added about 3/4 cup couscous and let it cook some more. The couscous soaked up a lot of the liquid, but overall the texture was gloopy. In the future, I would use none of the cooking water and not as much broth.
We liked this and it's easy to make. Served over brown rice. I left out most of the oit- just like I always do. The peas and bell pepper are lovely in the sea of yellow. Thanks for posting.