Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is very very good, my aunty's recipe--we love this in my house. This may seem like a lot of ingredients, but it is too good to miss out on.
- 440 g salmon or 440 g tuna
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 egg
- 30 g butter
- 45 g butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons parsley (or more)
- 60 g cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 egg
- Cook rice in boiling salted water for 12 minutes; drain.
- Combine rice with butter, egg, salt and pepper.
- Line a 18cm x 28cm dish with aluminium foil, bringing it above sides of dish.
- Press mixture over base and sides of tin.
- Arrange drained, flaked fish over rice base.
- Melt butter.
- add flour and curry powder, stir until smooth, cook 1 minute and then remove from heat.
- Add milk gradually, stirring until smooth.
- Add mayonnaise and return to heat; stir until sauce boils and thickens.
- Add lemon juice and parsley.
- Reduce heat, simmer 1 minute and then remove from heat.
- Add beaten egg, cool slightly.
- Pour mixture onto fish.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in a moderate oven 25-35 minutes or until golden brown.
This was really good. The curry flavor was perfect and it was so creamy. Great comfort food! It did take a bit of effort but I will definitely make it again. The only thing I changed was using plain yogurt instead of mayo because I'm allergic to soy. My husband and little ones loved it too! I might add a bit of cayenne pepper next time, but that's it. Thanks for posting!
I was checking to see if this recipe was already here, as I was going to add it! It is the exact recipe my Mum gave me years ago. She used to make it a lot, it was my favourite dish as a child, and still is today! :)