Tuna Cheddar and Rice Slice
An easy recipe for the Tuna lovers of this world. A old and trusted favourite in our family.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup rice
- 2 eggs
- 500 g canned tuna
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 60 g cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 30 g butter
- 60 g butter (extra)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Add rice to saucepan of boiling salted water, boil uncovered for 12 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain. Combine rice, one egg, finely chopped onion and melted butter, mix well.
- Press rice mixture over base and side of greased 18 x 28cm lamington tin.
- Drain tuna, reserve the liquid, and press flaked tuna over rice pressing firmly.
- Melt extra butter in a pan, add flour and stir until combined. Remove pan from heat, add milk and tuna liquid and stir well.
- Return pan to heat and stir until sauce thickens. Add mustard, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir until combined, simmer uncovered for approx 2 minutes. Add well beaten 2nd egg, grated cheese, parsley and lemon juice. Stir until combined. Pour sauce over tuna.
- Bake uncovered in moderate oven for approx 40 minutes or until firm on top.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I liked this, my husband wasn't a big fan. I used 2 small cans of tuna (500 g would be a little more than 3 cans) and I thought it was fine with just 2. I baked it at 375 for 50 minutes and I wasn't sure what the consistency was supposed to be but it never really got "firm". When I cut it, the sauce came out kinda runny so we just kinda mixed it all together, and that worked out fine.Reply
My family all enjoyed this slice. I actually thought the left-overs were nicer heated than when the slice was first cooked. I liked the mustard as stated in the recipe. This would be a great slice for a buffet or picnic lunch. Photos also being posted. PS: I used gluten-free flour to make this a GF meal :)Reply
see 2 more