Recipe by Enjolinfam
From the cookbook Easy Meals Vegetarian. I'm posting this for safe keeping. I'm not sure how "easy" it is with all of the ingredients listed, but it sure does sound good. ;)
Top Review by jennifercareyxx
It was very tasty - and my husband liked it. I substituted oatmeal and corn flour for the breadcrumbs to make it gluten free for my husband. I also adapted the leftover sauce as a standalone on rice (with some soybeans blended into it with the food processor.) So i got two recipes out of one.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 small red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 small leek, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, ripe, skinned, and deseeded
- 11 ounces garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- vegetable oil, for cooking
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cucumber, sliced to garnish
- lime wedge, to garnish
- 1⁄2 cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 dash extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water (estimate)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the dressing, blend the tahini, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and lemon juice in a food processor until creamy. Slowly poor the oil, then gradually add water to make a creamy dressing.
- Bring a pan of water to a boil. Add the salt and sprinkle in the rice; simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is just tender. Drain and rinse, then set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until they begin to soften. Stir in the curry powder and chili, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the pepper, peas, leek, and chopped tomato flesh, and cook gently for 7 minutes, or until tender. Set aside.
- Process the garbanzo beans in the food processor until smooth. Add half the vegetables and process again. Transfer to a large bowl and add the remaining vegetable mixture, bread crumbs, chopped fresh cilantro, and egg; mix well. Stir in the rice and season well. Chill for 1 hour, then shape into 4-6 patties.
- Cook the patties in oil for 6-8 minutes, or until golden, and serve with the dressing, garnished with slices of cucumber and wedges of lime.