Spicy Soybean Patties With Mint
Recipe by Chef Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian". Submitted for safe keeping. Prep time is approximate.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups soybeans, cooked (edamame)
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice, cooked
- 6 tablespoons peanut oil or 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 green onions, cut crosswise into very fine rings (all the white and the lower half of the green)
- 5 slices gingerroot, thin slices, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 jalapeno chile, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 4 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (or as needed)
- Mash the cooked soybeans in a bowl until paste-like. Add the rice, mix well, and set aside.
- Put 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan and set over high heat. When hot, put in the green onion, ginger, garlic, carrot, and jalapenos. Stir and fry for 3 - 4 minutes, or until very lightly browned.
- Empty the contents of the frying pan into the bowl with the soybeans and rice. Add the cilantro, mint, garam masala, cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix well and taste for seasonings, adding more of anything you like.
- Add the egg and breadcrumbs, and mix well. The mixture should be firm enough to form into balls or patties. Add a little more bread crumbs if necessary. (This mixture can be kept, covered with plastic, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.).
- Divide the mixture into 16 parts and form patties, about 3 inches in diameter.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the remaining oil in a large, preferably nonstick frying pan, over medium - high heat. When hot, lay in as many patties as the pan will hold easily in a single uncrowded layer. Fry them for about 2 minutes on each side, or until they develop a rich, dark, reddish - brown crust on both sides. Remove and drain briefly on paper towels, placing the patties in a warm oven until the remaining patties are fried. Add additional oil to the pan if necessary.
- Serve with the chutney or sauce of your choice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION