Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely-chopped onions
- 1 cup finely-chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 cups canned tomatoes, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed apples
- fresh ground black pepper
- Melt the margarine in a large kettle.
- Add the chopped onion, celery and garlic.
- Cook, stirring until tender.
- Add the curry powder and cook, stirring about 1 minute.
- Add drained tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme and rice.
- Stir constantly while bringing to a boil.
- Add chicken broth.
- Return to boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes.
- When rice is tender, remove the bay leaf.
- Pour the soup into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the kettle, add the milk and apple cubes.
- Increase temperature and serve hot.