Buster's friend's Note:
Received in am email - created by David Jarrett. Like the sound of this variation of classic crab soup (something we love here) - the milk rather than cream will lighten it up a bit & the curry provides a nice complement to the crab. Of course we'll be using our "home grown" blue crab (- the best in the world IMAO LOL!) so I will be stashing this recipe to try later in the year when our own crabs are plentiful & heavy (so the picking won't be so arduous). A fresh green salad and crusty bread together with the soup makes a nice meal. Thanks David.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder, yellow, mild
- 2 tablespoons shallots, fresh, peeled and minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken (or vegetable stock)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 lb fresh crabmeat (preferably half shreds and half lump or claw meat)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons dry sherry
- 15 Tbs. butter.
- 24 Tbs flour.
- 31 medium onion peeled and chopped.
- 43 stalks of celery chopped.
- 51 1/2 Tbs mild yellow curry powder.
- 61 Tbs dried minced shallots or 2 Tbs fresh shallots peeled and minced.
- 71 cup heavy cream.
- 82 cups milk.
- 92 cups chicken or vegetable stock.
- 10juice of half a lemon.
- 111 lb fresh crab meat (preferably half shreds and half lump or claw meat).
- 12salt and pepper to taste.
- 134 Tbs dry sherry.
- 14Make a roux by melting 3 Tbs butter in a large sauce pan. Add the flour and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until it just begins to brown a little. Do not let it burn.
- 15Add the other 2 Tbs of butter and the chopped celery and onions and fresh shallots (if using them) and continue to stir and cook until the vegetables are wilted (about 5 minutes). Add the curry powder, stir and cook for a minute more. Lower the heat.
- 16Meanwhile heat the cream, milk and stock in another pan. If using dried shallots add them to to the liquid and bring to a low simmer. Do not let it come to a full boil or it may curdle.
- 17Pour the hot liquid into the roux slowly stirring constantly as you pour. Raise the heat to medium and continue to stir while it thickens and comes to a simmer. Again do not boil. Simmer 10 minutes.
- 18Add the lemon juice and crab meat meat and continue to heat and stir until it again is simmering. Taste and add salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
- 19Pour into bowls and top each bowl with a spoonful of sherry. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Cream of Crab Soup
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 626.8
- Calories from Fat 382
- Total Fat 42.4 g
- Saturated Fat 25.8 g
- Cholesterol 203.6 mg
- Sodium 541.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 26.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: