Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This one comes from my newlywed days when I received a whole set of illustrated recipe cards. I tweaked it to suit our tastes into a very flavorsome and aromatic meal! The rice cooks in the microwave while the chicken works in the frying pan; why--dinner will be ready before you know it--altho' you WILL have to listen to LOTS of begging (as in, "What are you making that smells so good?" and "Are we ever going to eat?").
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 10 chicken pieces (drums & thighs)
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 whole head of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- THE RICE: Dump ingredients into a microwave-safe casserole dish; zap in the microwave until fluffy; keep covered; set aside.
- THE CHICKEN: Melt butter in large HOT frying pan, add chicken and brown on all sides; remove pieces as it browns (keep warm).
- THE SAUCE: To butter in pan, add onion pieces, cook & stir until soft and beginning to brown.
- Mix in garlic and curry powder, stirring for one minute; quickly add ginger & tomato paste, pour in HALF of the broth, stirring up the fond, then the remainder of the broth.
- Return chicken to pan, spooning some of the sauce over each piece; cover & reduce heat.
- Simmer chicken until tender (about 30-40 minutes).
- Mix cornstarch & water.
- Pile half of chicken on the other pieces to clear a space in the pan; stir cornstarch-water into cleared spot and cook until thickened.
- Salt to taste, then return chicken to pan and coat on all sides with that rich-looking sauce.
- Serve with rice and use sauce for gravy.
As with another reviewer, I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3 large ones) & cut each of them into 4 thick strips, & the whole recipe made enough for 2 meals! I did cut back slightly on the curry, but other than that . . . Really enjoyed the very flavorful sauce & look forward to making this recipe again! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed while touring Asia with ZWT6]
Fabulous! I do not like chicken pieces, so I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead and just reduced the cooking time. The flavor was exceptional, and I will be making this again.
Excellant curried chicken, we loved it! Wonderful flavour ! Didn't change a thing except instead of butter i used olive oil for the first butter, but used a little butter to add to the sauce. Wonderful sauce and so easy. Thanks for posting I will make it again.