Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A light curry that goes well with noodles or rice.
Make and share this Curried Chicken and Shrimp recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup banana, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup apple, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Remove any bones or skin from the chicken breasts. Cut into 1 inch cubes. There should be about 3 cups chicken and 2 cups shrimp all together. Set aside.
- Heat half the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat and add onion and garlic. Cook about 1 or 2 minutes, then add celery. Cook another minute then season with curry powder and stir. Add the tomato paste; stir. Add banana and apple; stir. Add the broth and stir until liquid is well blended. Salt to taste and simmer 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining butter in a saucepan. Add the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook about 2 to 3 minutes. Add shrimp and cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring.
- Meanwhile, pour the curry mixture into the bowl of a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Can also be done with an immersion blender.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and shrimp, heat 2 minutes and serve.
I doubled the sauce but only put in three tablespoons of curry. Next time I will reduce it to 2 1/2 tablespoons. The sweetness from the apple and banana were great. The fruit adds to the flavor but does not overpower the dish. Three chicken breasts were used. I had frozen shrimp which were added in the last two minutes. ZWT7 Made for Count Dracula and His Hot Bites.