Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love to make this for my family--they say the flavor is comfort food. This is a wonderful starter soup for a Thanksgiving meal.
- 1 lb unpeeled medium raw shrimp
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (3 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- whipping cream
- Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to medium; add squash, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add 1 can broth, shrimp, curry, and thyme, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Let cool slightly.
- Process mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Return mixture to saucepan; add remaining broth, and bring to a boil. Stir in 1 cup whipping cream, salt, and pepper; reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes. Garnish, if desired.