southern chef in louisiana's Note:
I love to make this for my family--they say the flavor is comfort food. This is a wonderful starter soup for a Thanksgiving meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb unpeeled medium raw shrimp
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (3 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- whipping cream
- 1Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired. Set aside.
- 2Melt butter in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to medium; add squash, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until tender.
- 3Add 1 can broth, shrimp, curry, and thyme, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Let cool slightly.
- 4Process mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- 5Return mixture to saucepan; add remaining broth, and bring to a boil. Stir in 1 cup whipping cream, salt, and pepper; reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes. Garnish, if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Butternut-Shrimp Bisque
Serving Size: 1 (3584 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.5
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 109.9 mg
- Sodium 818.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 12.2 g