Prep 4 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This recipe came from my mother-in-law, it is a family favorite.
- 4 quarts pickling cucumbers
- 2 lbs onions
- 1 bunch celery
- 6 cups white vinegar
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup flour
- Put cleaned and trimmed cucumbers, onions and celery through a grinder or food processor.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and let stand overnight.
- Next day drain well. (I squeeze out the extra liquid using a tea towel.)
- Combine ground vegetables with 5 cups of the vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed, red and green peppers.
- In a large pot bring mixture to the boil for 20 minutes.
- Mix flour with remaining 1 cup vinegar and add this mixture to the pot.
- Boil for a few minutes constantly mixing until thickened.
- Put up relish in sterile jars and seal as per jar instructions.