Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Modified from EatingWell, March/April 2010. Cube steak is a tougher cut of meat pounded to make it tender. It cooks quickly and is inexpensive—perfect for a weeknight dinner. Look for sliced mushrooms to save even more time on prep. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice, and steamed broccoli or green beans.
- 8 ounces cube steaks
- 3⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 small sweet onion (thinly sliced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry (not cooking sherry)
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (low fat okay)
- Sprinkle steaks with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add steaks and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium. Transfer the steaks to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are golden brown and release their liquid, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle mushrooms with flour and cook, stirring, for 11/2 minutes.
- Add thyme, sherry and broth; bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Return the steaks (and any accumulated juice) to the pan and turn to coat with the sauce.
- Serve the steaks with the sauce.
This is the second non breaded and fried cube steak recipe that I have tried recently and it's another winner. My only alteration was to use all beef broth and no sherry. My DH is a real cube steak fan and it's great to find some different and yummy ways to use them. The mushrooms were the high point of the plate and would be lovely made alone and served with many other things. They would be perfect made with chicken broth and served with baked chicken for instance.