Modified from EatingWell, March/April 2010. Cube steak is a tougher cut of meat pounded to make it tender. It cooks quickly and is inexpensive—perfect for a weeknight dinner. Look for sliced mushrooms to save even more time on prep. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice, and steamed broccoli or green beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces cube steaks
- 3/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 small sweet onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (not cooking sherry)
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (low fat okay)
- 1Sprinkle steaks with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add steaks and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium. Transfer the steaks to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- 3Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are golden brown and release their liquid, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 4Sprinkle mushrooms with flour and cook, stirring, for 11/2 minutes.
- 5Add thyme, sherry and broth; bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes.
- 6Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Return the steaks (and any accumulated juice) to the pan and turn to coat with the sauce.
- 7Serve the steaks with the sauce.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cube Steak With Mushroom-Sherry Sauce for Two
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.7
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 6.2 mg
- Sodium 306.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium beef broth