Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Another version of cristianos y moros. True to the traditional recipe I know not, but delicious I do know. I found this recipe online but I don't know where.
- 709.77 ml cooked white rice
- 453.59 g dried black beans
- 1 small onion, cut in half
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 green bell pepper
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 2 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 3 scallions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 29.58 ml dry white wine
- 14.79 ml red wine vinegar
- 2.46 ml sugar
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- lime wedge (to garnish)
- Soak the beans for at least 4 hours.
- In a large stock pot add the drained beans, the onion, 4 garlic cloves, bay leaves, 1/2 bell pepper, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil and skim off foam.
- Reduce the heat, cover and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, for one hour or until beans are tender. Add water to keep the beans from drying out. Remove the onion, garlic, bay leaves, and bell pepper and discard.
- SOFRITO: Brown the bacon in a frying pan over medium heat. Drain the bacon. Pour off the fat from the pan except for 1 teaspoon.
- Add olive oil and remaining sofrito ingredients, cooking over medium heat until just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir the sofrito into the beans, along with the SEASONINGS. Continue simmmering until beans are very soft, about 20 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste before serving. Serve with hot cooked white rice.
We love rice and bean recipes, and this recipe was really great. I made it as written and if I made any change at all next time, it would be to add spicy peppers to the mix, but that's just personal taste. I estimated the amount of water to use to boil the beans, and had to add more before the beans were fully cooked. In the end, I decided I could have used even more to make plenty of broth for the rice. The beans really soaked it up. Made for Mike and the Appliance Killer ZWT9.
If only there were more stars... We loved this! Made it exactly as written except only one scallion (all we had) and red bell pepper instead of green. Yum, yum, yum!!! We live in a country where rice and beans are served at all three meals of the day - and this is far better than the Costa Rican gallos! I cut the recipe in half, since there are only two of us - but I wish I'd made the whole thing. Thanks so much for posting a really wonderful recipe! Made for Team Gourmet Goddesses, ZWT9.
Fabulous meal tonight ! Rice with bacon and beans and vegies makes a winning combination. I have never seen black beans here so used both kidney and white beans. I used red and green peppers plus threw in a handful of other leftover vegetables . We all loved this dish.