Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Yum!!! This is a great way to make a meal out of all those peas. I just brought home a bushel of crowder peas and I needed to figure out what to do with them. I researched a bunch of recipes and combined a few of the ideas I saw to make these. I think you could use black-eyed peas in this recipe as well.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy then remove and dry.
- If you used turkey bacon there won't be a lot of greece so you need to add a bit of oil to cook the onion, pepper and garlic. Cook these on medium low for 15-20 minutes (until they are soft and sweet). Make sure that you scrape up all of the yummy bacon flavor from the pan while you're at it.
- Stir in the peas and the broth.
- Season with the pepper flakes, bay leaf, thyme and seasoned salt and let it simmer over medium low for about 30 minutes (until the peas are tender).
- Add the bacon and the ham and cook for another few minutes.
- If the dish looks too watery at this point add the following: Mix 1-2 T flour into a bit of milk then stir it into the pea mixture. Cook a few more minutes to thicken up the mix.