Recipe by newspapergal
Extremely easy Italian bread. I serve this with almost every meal.
Top Review by tony.woodward
I was looking for a very simple instruction about how to prepare crostini. Simple recipe but I looked at Jamie Oliver and he just said "grill the slices" - er - do you turn them over? All the others elaborate about toppings but don't mention the bread. So thank you.
- 1⁄2 loaf country style Italian bread or 1⁄2 loaf French baguette, 2 inches in diameter and 10 inches long.
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in the upper part of oven and preheat to 450 degrees.
- Using a bread knife, cut bread on the diagnal into slices 1/2 inch thick.
- Brush each side lightly with olive oil and place on baking sheet.
- Bake, turning once until lightly golden.
- Watch carefully and do not allow crostini to toast til hard.
- This is no time to watch TV.
- Remove from oven and rub with the garlic clove.
- Crostini can be topped with a lot of things like fresh herbs, anchovy spreads, olives, artichoke, ricotta-- etc--.