Recipe by Santa Ynez Valley Chef
A cheater slow cooker version of Carolina BBQ for those of us who can't get it any other way.
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 -6 lbs pork butt or 4 -6 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place onions in crock pot.
- Blend brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper; rub over roast.
- Place roast in crock pot. Drizzle liquid smoke over roast.
- Combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic and cayenne pepper and stir to mix well.
- Drizzle about ? of mixture over roast. Cover and refrigerate remaining mixture.
- Cook roast on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove meat and onions, discard onions and shred meat. Add juices from crock pot and remaining vinegar mixture (a portion may be reserved to pass).
- Serve plain or as sandwiches.