Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I threw this one together after not being able to find the recipe I had used the one and only time I had made beef stew. Luckily, I was blessed with a pretty good memory. Here it is....
- 2 -3 lbs beef stew meat (pre-cut)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with roasted garlic)
- 3 -4 potatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen sliced carrots
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock (packet prepared) or 1 (12 ounce) beef gravy mix (prepared)
- Place ingredients in crock pot in the following order:.
- Onions, garlic, carrots and potatoes.
- Canned tomatoes.
- Brown sugar.
- Red wine.
- All seasonings.
- Beef stock or beef gravy mix.
- Cook in slow cooker on High for 6-8 hours or Low for about 10, depending on the slow cooker.
I was not as brave as berly333, I left the brown sugar out all together. Three other changes were made they were adding more garlic and 1 more bay leaf and 3 T cornstarch to thicken the broth 1/2 hour before it was done cooking. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup game
I was not sure about the brown sugar, but followed the recipe and everyone liked it. i will make again.