Recipe by Chef Shadows
Serves: 4-6 Prep time : 20 minutes Cook Time: 8 hours CROCK POT/ SLOW COOKER Source: Shadows
Top Review by ReedieMCM65
I found this recipe because my husband wanted something with pork, potatoes, and sauerkraut. Other than using Spice Islands Garlic Chips and Cholula Hot Sauce Original in place of garlic flakes and BBW Wild dipping sauce, I followed the ingredients and amounts in the recipe exactly. I expected a strong garlic taste from what seemed like a lot of garlic, and perhaps some heat from the hot sauce, but it had a very pleasant, mild flavor. I'm not sure what the fennel seeds and sage contributed to it, but the taste was excellent. The meat was done to perfection and shreds nicely for subsequent use in any recipe you might want to use. The sauerkraut was mild and the potatoes were just the right amount of firmness. I'll use the recipe again for sure.
- 3 lbs pork loin roast, boneless
- 1 lb sauerkraut
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 5 medium potatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon garlic flakes
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, BBW Wild dipping sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Grey Poupon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup beer, more if needed
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Salt and pepper pork roast well on all sides.
- Add olive oil and pork roast to the hot pan.
- Brown pork on all sides for about 10 minutes.
- While pork is browning slice onion and place in bottom of crock pot.
- Slice the garlic and add to onions in crock pot.
- Add fennel seed and rubbed sage to mixture in crock pot.
- Put sauerkraut in crock pot on top of onion/ garlic.
- Turn crock pot to high heat and cover.
- Mix minced garlic flakes, hot sauce, balsamic vinegar, mustard, and wine in a tea cup.
- Place pork in crock pot and cover.
- Place butter in skillet with a small amount of wine and deglaze the pan.
- Pour this over the roast.
- Quarter the potatoes.
- Add to the crock pot.
- Sprinkle more garlic flakes on top of all.
- Pour the vinegar and hot sauce mixture evenly over all items in crock pot.
- Add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Cook on high heat for 1 - 1.5 hours.
- Turn heat to low and cook for an additional 6.5 to 7 hours, until pork is done.
- Serve hot!