Prep 30 mins
Cook 17 hrs
A heavenly pot roast! The cook time includes the overnight marinating and crock pot time. Also, for those interested, one 3-oz serving of the meat and some of the potatoes and veggies is only 8 Weight Watchers points!
- 2 lbs lean chuck roast
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (1/3 ounce) package dried morels or 1 (1/3 ounce) package dried shiitake mushrooms or 1 (1/3 ounce) packagemixed dried wild mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1 (16 ounce) package baby carrots
- 16 small round red potatoes, washed and halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- Trim the fat off of the roast.
- Combine the soy sauce and garlic in a small bowl, and place the roast in a large Ziploc bag, pouring the soy sauce mixture on it.
- Seal and marinate overnight, turning the bag at least once.
- Bring the beef broth to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Add the dried mushrooms, stir, cover and remove from heat.
- Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Drain the mushrooms through a coffee-filter lined sieve or cheesecloth-lined colander, reserving the broth.
- Remove the roast from the bag, and save the remaining marinade.
- Press the cracked black pepper into both sides of the roast.
- Mix the marinade, mushroom broth, and tomato paste together; stir well and set aside.
- Place the mushrooms, onion, carrots, and potatoes in a large crock pot and toss.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high.
- Add the roast and brown well on all sides.
- Put the roast on top of the veggies in the crock pot, and pour the broth mixture over the roast and veggies.
- Scrape the bottom of the skillet to remove the brown bits into the crock pot.
- Cover the crock pot with the lid and cook on high 1 hour, then cook on low another 8 hours.
- Place the roast and veggies on a serving platter and keep warm.
- Reserve the liquid in the crock pot.
- Place flour in a small bowl.
- Gradually add the water and stir with a fork until well blended.
- Add it to the broth in the crock pot, Cook uncovered for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring often.
- Serve the gravy with the roast.