Recipe by lucy k.
Round roast is best cooked slow and long, so it's the perfect use for your crock pot.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
This roast came out juicy and so tender; and all the veggies were perfectly cooked too! I used baby carrots, small yellow potatoes that I cut in half and shallots in place of the onion. The only thing I would change is to add some salt and pepper with the wine/broth instead of just on the roast. Will be a good addition to the dinner rotation this winter. Made for Help a Naked Recipe Tag in the Photo Forum.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 lbs round roast
- salt and pepper
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 large onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 3 carrots
- 4 medium potatoes
- 8 large mushrooms
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 4 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop vegetables into chunks. (Peel the garlic, but leave it whole.).
- Place half of the vegetables in the crock pot.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Season the roast on all sides with salt and pepper. Sear each side in the hot pan.
- Place roast in crock pot, then add the rest of the vegetables and the bay leaf.
- Combine broth and wine, and pour inches.
- Cook 8-10 hours on low.
- About 30 minutes before serving, remove excess liquid, leaving enough in the crock to make gravy.
- Combine flour with a small amount of water to make a smooth paste, then stir in some of the liquid from the crock. Pour this mixture back into the crock and cover. Continue to cook until thickened.
- Discard bay leaf and garlic cloves.