Recipe by TheDancingCook
Real comfort food done plain and simple. This usual tough cut of meat will melt in your mouth after slow cooking all day. Serve with mashed potatoes, veggie and rolls.
Top Review by HokiesMom
The flavors are spot on but boy does it cook a lot quicker than 8 hours on low! I even put it on extra low (10 hour setting on my crockpot) and it was still overly cooked and liquid evaporated almost over halfway. I wish I was home to watch it but was at work or I would have cut it off a lot earlier than 8 hours. It is super easy to make and the taste is good but a bit overly salty (due to the mixes maybe?) but the time really needs some adjustment or a large range of cook time. I might try this again with no salt beef broth next time and reduce the cook time to about 4-5 hours. Worth a 2nd try for sure. Made during Help A Naked Recipe in the Photo Forum.
- 1 lb cube steaks (about 4 pieces) or 1 lb round steak
- 3 (3/4 ounce) envelopes beef gravy (beef, mushroom beef, herbed beef, mushroom...mix and match to your liking) or 3 (3/4 ounce) envelopes mushroom gravy (beef, mushroom beef, herbed beef, mushroom...mix and match to your liking)
- 3 cups water
- 1 onion, sliced (optional)
- sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 2 white potatoes, peeled and quartered (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the meat in the bottom of your crockpot.
- On stovetop, bring water and gravy packet mix to a boil; whisk until smooth and pour over meat in crockpot.
- If you are adding onions and/or mushrooms, add them also.
- Cook, on LOW, for 8 hours.
- *You can also use round steak and add peeled, white potato quarters.