Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Real comfort food done plain and simple. This usual tough cut of meat will melt in your mouth after slow cooking all day. Serve with mashed potatoes, veggie and rolls.
- 1 lb cube steaks (about 4 pieces) or 1 lb round steak
- 3 (3/4 ounce) envelopes beef gravy (beef, mushroom beef, herbed beef, mushroom...mix and match to your liking) or 3 (3/4 ounce) envelopes mushroom gravy (beef, mushroom beef, herbed beef, mushroom...mix and match to your liking)
- 3 cups water
- 1 onion, sliced (optional)
- sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 2 white potatoes, peeled and quartered (optional)
- Place the meat in the bottom of your crockpot.
- On stovetop, bring water and gravy packet mix to a boil; whisk until smooth and pour over meat in crockpot.
- If you are adding onions and/or mushrooms, add them also.
- Cook, on LOW, for 8 hours.
- *You can also use round steak and add peeled, white potato quarters.
The flavors are spot on but boy does it cook a lot quicker than 8 hours on low! I even put it on extra low (10 hour setting on my crockpot) and it was still overly cooked and liquid evaporated almost over halfway. I wish I was home to watch it but was at work or I would have cut it off a lot earlier than 8 hours. It is super easy to make and the taste is good but a bit overly salty (due to the mixes maybe?) but the time really needs some adjustment or a large range of cook time. I might try this again with no salt beef broth next time and reduce the cook time to about 4-5 hours. Worth a 2nd try for sure. Made during Help A Naked Recipe in the Photo Forum.
This was nice and tender and tasted pretty good, but not pretty, and the gravy was kinda funky looking, so it lost a star for not being attractive. Lost another star for not making hubby say yum, although he ate plenty. Perfectly edible, just not impressive. I didn't brown my meat before putting it in the crock. Was I supposed to?
This is a great recipe for when you have cube steak you don't know what to do with! I get shares of grass fed beef from a farmer and the package always includes cube steak so I was glad to try this recipe. The meat was very tender and I served this with some greens and mashed potatoes (didnt add the potatoes into the crock pot), which were great with the gravy! I think Ill try this next time with a homemade mushroom gravy sauce, just because the ingredients in the packaged gravy mix can be kinda scary (sensitive to msg). I know the main point of this was to make it easy and this is a great easy throw together meal! Thanks.