Recipe by Greeny4444
I wanted to make chicken marsala one night, but didn't want the hassle of cleaning up the pan from frying. This creation turned out to be an easy alternative and tasty too!
Top Review by katyludp
okay- a few tweaks here wit this one. First of all, I sauteed the chicken just to brown the outside along with some onions. Also, the other reviews are correct in that the wine should be increased and the broth decreased. The person who added the cornstarch ran into the same problem I did in the end-so I also added a bit to thicken the sauce after cooking. Last, it does need some spicing up unless you like a more bland version. I added additional Italian seasoning, onion powder, salt and pepper. Next time, along with the Marsala wine I will add a little red house wine too. Anyway, what is cooking , but a big, fun experiment?
- 4 (5 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 cup marsala wine
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, broken into small pieces (margarine is ok)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the chicken breasts in a 5 quart crock pot. They can go in frozen, but make sure they don't overlap as much as possible.
- Mix the flour, salt, pepper, and basil, and sprinkle over the chicken.
- Pour the wine and broth into the crockpot.
- Dot the butter over the chicken and dump the mushrooms on top.
- Cook LOW for 6 hours.
- When the 6 hours are up, take the chicken out and place on the serving dish. Stir the sauce a little, and spoon the sauce over the chicken.
- Serve over pasta or rice.