Recipe by Olha
There’s nothing fancy or surprising about this simple soup—it’s tried and true. Kids of all ages call it a favorite.
Top Review by annaree731
This soup is great! I tweaked it a little though by adding 4 cups of chicken broth (instead of 2 1/2 cups of water and the bouillon), 8 ounches of 2% Sharp finely shredded cheddar cheese, 1 can of fat-free evaporated milk, and not peeling the potatoes but slicing them about 1/4". For the last 30 minutes, I added the cheese first, then the milk (hoping to avoid the mild curdling as mentioned by someone before). When done cooking, I used an immersion blender to blend it all together which took care of the chunky skins, but gave it some texture. When serving each portion, I put in a dollop of fat-free plain yogurt and sprinkled some of the same cheese on top. YUM!
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped (6 cups)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded American cheese (6 ounces)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk (1 1/2 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3 ½ to 4 quart slow cooker combine potatoes, water, onion, bouillon granules, and pepper. Cover; cook on LOW-HEAT setting for 8 to 9 hours or on HIGH-HEAT setting for 4 to 4 ½ hours.
- Stir cheese and milk into mixture in cooker. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 1 hour more or on high-heat setting for 30 minutes more. Mash potatoes slightly, if desired.
- 6 servings.
- BHG Slow Cooker Recipes.