Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
We love this at our house, it's just full of flavor! If you find that the potatoes are cooked before the chicken just remove them to a plate. You will love this!
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (use only if you prefer extreme spicy)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder (can use more)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 4 russet potatoes, cut into large cubes (about 1-1/2-inch)
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped (or use a 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained)
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- Season the chicken pieces with seasoning salt or regular salt and pepper.
- Brown both sides in oil and butter in a skillet; transfer to the crock pot along with the chopped tomatoes and potatoes.
- In the same skillet saute onions, garlic, brown sugar, cayenne, bell pepper, thyme and chili flakes (if using) until soft (about 4 minutes).
- Stir in the chicken broth to the skillet and stir with a wooden spoon on low heat scraping up any browned bits in the skillet.
- Pour the broth/veggie mixture over the chicken and potatoes.
- Cover crock pot and cook on high heat for about 3-4 hours (adding in the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper the last 40 minutes of cooking).
Excellent........had this today and everybody loved it. Thanks so much for an excellent recipe will definitley be making this again.
This was a definate hit, even to my non onion, pepper, tomato loving husband! Can't wait to see if the leftovers are just as good.
Wow. I just cannot believe how much my kids LOVED this. They're even eating the leftovers for breakfast. We made it vegan by using 3 cups of cooked black beans instead of the chicken, coconut oil instead of the butter, and vegetable broth rather than chicken broth--and I added a bit more broth than the recipe calls for since the beans do not produce juices like the chicken would. We served it over short grain brown rice. I think this would be really tasty with sweet potatoes instead of russets, too. This will become a regular in our house!