Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
We love this at our house, it's just full of flavor! If you find that the potatoes are cooked before the chicken just remove them to a plate. You will love this!
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (use only if you prefer extreme spicy)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder (can use more)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 4 russet potatoes, cut into large cubes (about 1-1/2-inch)
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped (or use a 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained)
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the chicken pieces with seasoning salt or regular salt and pepper.
- Brown both sides in oil and butter in a skillet; transfer to the crock pot along with the chopped tomatoes and potatoes.
- In the same skillet saute onions, garlic, brown sugar, cayenne, bell pepper, thyme and chili flakes (if using) until soft (about 4 minutes).
- Stir in the chicken broth to the skillet and stir with a wooden spoon on low heat scraping up any browned bits in the skillet.
- Pour the broth/veggie mixture over the chicken and potatoes.
- Cover crock pot and cook on high heat for about 3-4 hours (adding in the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper the last 40 minutes of cooking).