I've been making this for years and years. It's one of those never fail to please recipes. The recipe originally came from the little book of recipes that came with my first crock pot. I often buy and use beef that is already cubed to save a little time. I also by a jar of small onions and add that instead of the fresh.
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 lbs beef round steak, cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lb white pearl onion, peeled
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup Burgundy wine
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp.
- Remove from pan and drain.
- Add beef cubes to the same pan and brown well.
- Place browned beef cubes in crock pot.
- Add onion slices and carrot slices to skillet.
- Add tomato paste, thyme and minced garlic.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in flour.
- Add broth and mix well.
- Add this mixture to the crock pot over the beef.
- Add bay leaf and pearl onions.
- Crumble cooked bacon and add to crock pot.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
- Saute mushrooms and add to crock pot with wine about 1 hour before serving.