Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This sounds so yummy! I haven't tried it yet, but with the weather cooling down, it's high up on my list.
- 439.41 g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 425.24 g can black beans or 425.24 g can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 709.77 ml water
- 411.06 g can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 9.85 ml chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 283.49 g package frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 113.39 g canchopped green chili peppers
- 29.58 ml instant beef bouillon or 29.58 ml chicken bouillon or 6 bouillon cubes
- 78.07 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml cornmeal
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 1 beaten egg white
- 29.58 ml milk
- 14.79 ml cooking oil
- In a slow cooker or crock pot combine beans, water, tomatoes, corn, carrot, onion, undrained chili peppers, bouillon, chili powder and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours.
- Can be put in at night and let cook overnight or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg white, milk, and oil.
- Add to flour mixture.
- Stir with a fork just until combined.
- Turn crock pot to high and drop the dumpling mixture from a rounded teaspoon to make about 8 dumplings on the soup.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
This is a good filling soup for a cold day. The seasonings are tasty but not spicy. The only change I made was to add a pound of browned ground beef to the recipe (DH won't go "meatless"). I left this in the crockpot all day so supper was ready when we were.