Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A flaky drop cookie that has coconut, oatmeal and crispy rice cereal in it. For added fibre and nutrition, I added Salba (also know as Chia seed) to this recipe. Salba®, a small greyish seed from the family Salvia Hispanica L, is said to be the richest whole food source of Omega 3 fatty acids and fibre found in nature.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (do not pack)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut, medium
- 1 1⁄2 cups crispy rice cereal (Rice Crispies)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup whole salba seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl and beat until smooth.
- Mix the rest of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir well.
- Add dry ingredients to the large bowl a little at a time stirring to combine.
- Shape dough into balls using a couple of teaspoons, placing balls approximately 1 inch apart on a parchement paper lined cookie sheet.
- Flatten balls slightly with a fork.
- Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
I give these cookies a 4-Star but I have changed this recipe by substituting Splenda for Sugar and Splenda Brown Sugar Mix. I also added 1 Tablespoon Molasses and 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon. I used Fresh Coconut. ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS and A HEALTHIER CHOICE! P.S. Don't forget the SALBA - very important!