1/2 Photos of Creole Sausage & Bean Bake
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is a very spicy, hot, Creole dish that I first had while staying with friends in "Naw'lins". The spiciness/heat can be adjusted to your tastes by using a milder sausage than suggested and cutting down on the amount of hot pepper sauce added. Its wonderful served over rice. This recipe doubles well for larger groups. (1 hr 15 minute cooking time includes browning the sausage and cooking the veggies.) Andouille, Creole Hot, Chaurice (New Orleans style Creole)or Italian Hot sausage work best in this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18 g pork sausage links, cut into thirds
- 236.59 ml water, divided
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 118.29 ml chopped green pepper
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 4 (1814.36 g) can kidney beans, drained (8 cups)
- 2 (907.18 g) can tomato sauce
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- 0.59 ml hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 1In a large skillet, add sausage and 1/2 cup water.
- 2Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- 3Drain sausage.
- 4Continue cooking sausage, uncovered, until browned.
- 5Add onions, green peppers and garlic.
- 6Cook until vegetables are tender but not brown.
- 7Stir in beans, tomato sauce, 1/2 cup water, sugar, crumbled bay leaves and hot pepper sauce.
- 8Bring sausage/bean mixture to a boil.
- 9Pour sausage/bean mixture into a large ovenproof casserole dish.
- 10Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- 11Can be served over rice.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Sausage & Bean Bake
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 777.4
- Calories from Fat 381
- Total Fat 42.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 108.9 mg
- Sodium 2660.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.9 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 41.0 g