1/2 Photos of Creole Caesar Salad
1 hr 20 mins
This recipe is from a New Orleanian chef and caterer, Emile L. Stieffel, very slightly adapted. If you can get red leaf romaine, the salad is beautiful; if you can't, get another green head. The boston lettuce adds a nice texture difference. I highly recommend that you make your own seasoned croutons--specifically Crescent City Croutons, elsewhere on this site. Chef's Note: The fish sauce is a excellent way to get the traditional flavor of anchovies to the salad without actually having to use anchovies. There is only a hint of flavor when 1/2 tsp. is used.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 head red romaine lettuce
- 1 head boston lettuce
- 6 ounces extra virgin olive oil (Basil flavor if desired)
- 1/4 cup pickled garlic (Crushed then minced fine)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon creole mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated romano cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Wash the lettuce heads carefully by gently unfolding the leaves from the body of the lettuce and allowing cold water to flush away any dirt or sand from the stems. Turn the heads upside down and allow to drain.
- 2Cut the lettuce widthwise into 1/2-inch wide strips. Place the lettuce strips in a large bowl; dry thoroughly with paper towels. Use 1/2 the oil and gently toss the lettuce until all of the lettuce is completely covered with oil.
- 3In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining oil, garlic, Creole mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, soy and fish sauces until a smooth emulsion is achieved (about 2 minutes). Crack the eggs and whisk them into the dressing thoroughly.
- 4Pour the dressing over the salad, toss the lettuce to completely coat all of the leaves. Chill salad well but no longer than 2 hours. Add cheeses, toss gently, add croutons. Serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Caesar Salad
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.5
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 34.6 mg
- Sodium 117.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red romaine lettuce