Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is very good. It tastes just like the packaged pudding. It's very sweet though; so you may want to decrease the sugar a bit.
- 591.47 ml milk, divided
- 0.25 ml salt
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml cornstarch
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 14.79 ml butter or 14.79 ml margarine
- Place 2 cups milk and salt in saucapan. Sprinkle sugar over milk; do not stir.
- Heat over medium-high flame.
- Quickly combine cornstarch with remaining milk.
- Add egg yolks. Mix well.
- When milk reaches a full boil, remove from heat.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture. Pudding will begin to thicken.
- Return to heat; cook for one minute.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and butter.
- Pour into serving dishes. Serve warm.
- Serves 4.
Thank you for posting this recipe! I found the same recipe on another site several years ago and the printed recipe has been posted on the inside of my cabinet for years. Not only is this a great pudding, and easy to make. IT IS ALSO A GLUTEN FREE RECIPE.. I've not bought a pudding mix since finding this recipe.
A nice vanilla pudding and a lot faster and easier to make than the box pudding. I used half the amount of sugar but found it needed more. Whisked the cornstarch and milk well before adding the egg yolks. While adding this to the hot pudding I did keep whisking so no lumps would appear. This would be a nice pudding to make a banana cream pie but as a pudding itself I think I would like a bit more flavor. Made and reviewed for A " Taste Of Yellow " LiveStrong Event in the Photo Forum.