This is very good. It tastes just like the packaged pudding. It's very sweet though; so you may want to decrease the sugar a bit.
- Place 2 cups milk and salt in saucapan. Sprinkle sugar over milk; do not stir.
- Heat over medium-high flame.
- Quickly combine cornstarch with remaining milk.
- Add egg yolks. Mix well.
- When milk reaches a full boil, remove from heat.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture. Pudding will begin to thicken.
- Return to heat; cook for one minute.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and butter.
- Pour into serving dishes. Serve warm.
- Serves 4.