Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is one of my favorite recipes of the year so far. Wow. Wow. Wow. I couldn't stop eating it. I didn't have Parmesan, so I skipped it and still loved it. Recipe courtesy of budgetbytes.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb penne pasta
- 9 ounces fresh spinach
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook until tender (7 to 10 minutes). Drain the pasta in a colander.
- While waiting for the pasta to cook, dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Cook both in a large skillet with the olive oil over medium-low heat until softened and transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes with juices, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and some freshly cracked pepper to the skillet with the onions and garlic.
- Stir to combine. Add the tomato paste and a 1/2 cup of water to the skillet and stir until the tomato paste is dissolved into the sauce.
- Turn the heat down to low. Cut the cream cheese into a few pieces and then add them to the skillet with the tomato sauce.
- Use a whisk to stir the sauce until the cream cheese has fully melted in and the sauce is creamy.
- Add half of the parmesan to the skillet and whisk until it is melted inches Add the remainder of the parmesan and whisk until melted in again.
- Add the fresh spinach and gently stir it into the sauce until it has wilted (3 to 5 minutes). Add the pasta and stir until it is well coated with the creamy tomato sauce.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm.
WOW is right! I could not stop eating it. Although I assume just as good without, I added chicken. I cooked the chicken in the oil for 5 min, then added the onion and garlic. I also omitted the red pepper flakes. Thanks for posting. This one is a keeper.
Yum!!! This is great! I added some pasta water at the end to thin it a little. Great meatless meal!!