Recipe by zeldaz51
Cashew cream, a vegan staple, takes the place of dairy in this. If you are not using a high-powered blender (Vitamix, etc.), soak the cashews in some water overnight or boil them for 10 minutes and drain. This will soften them and yield a much creamier product. A Chloe Coscarelli recipe from "Chloe's Kitchen".
- 1 cup raw cashews (see note)
- 2 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 5 russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 X 13 pan.
- In a blender, puree cashews, water, garlic, and salt. Transfer to a large bowl. Add thyme and scallions to the cashew cream and mix with a spoon. In the pan, arrange half of the sliced potatoes, overlapping, and pour half of the cashew cream on top Repeat for the second layer. Dust the top with paprika and cover the pan with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, then remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork-tender and lightly browned on top. Garnish with more fresh thyme before serving and adjust salt to taste.