Prep 15 mins
Cook 48 mins
A deliciously creamy rice pudding. More work to prepare than the kind you bake in the oven, but it's worth the effort.
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Combine rice and milk on top of double boiler.
- Cook uncovered for 45 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Beat together egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar and salt.
- Stir part of the of rice mixture into beaten yolks.
- Add yolk mixture to hot rice mixture and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add 2 T. sugar
- Beat until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into pudding.
We love this pudding, it is nice and creamy, folding in the beaten egg whites creates a light and fluffy texture, oooh so yummy!!! We like it warm with some cinnamon sprinkled on top. It sets up nicely when chilled. A little time consuming to make, but worth the effort!
Best rice pudding I've tried yet. I added some cardamom pods (about 10?) when I started cooking the rice and milk to add an Indian flair. I usually add slivered almonds, but didn't have any this time. Anyway, this recipe as it stands is not only unusual in its preparation method but also quite exquisite. I served this at the end of a complete Indian meal. Fabulous!